Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Spencer's Surgery


I thought I would give a quick update on Spencer's surgery. He DID have it done today and so far everything is going well. We arrived at the surgical center at 6:30 this morning, which if you ever need to have a procedure done and they give you the option between the surgical center and the hospital...chose the surgical center. Everyone was so nice and accommodating there. The building is super nice and clean. They made the experience not so scary. But anyway, we got there early this morning, signed some paper work, then they took us the our room, which was nice. We got to stay in the family lounge which had a tv, toys, a couch, and two chairs. Once we got back to our room, we changed him into his gown. At about 7:30, they were ready to take him back for his surgery.

We didn't hear from the Doctor again until 9:15am but when we did he told us that everything went just fine and that Spencer did a great job. Once he woke up and after about 30 minutes in a recovery room, the nurses brought Spencer back in to see us. He was pretty groggy but looked fine! He had an IV in his foot that he kept in until right before we left. He did so well! The area that was worked on was still numb at the time so he was pretty relaxed. We had to stay for a while to make sure he could hold down liquids and that he wasn't running a temperature. By 10:30 we were on our way home! Spencer was a great patient! And he was SO brave!

Once we got home, the numbness started to go away and the pain began. He was VERY sad, but the doctor sent him home with some Tylenol that has codeine in it so once that kicked in he was much better. Oh, for anyone who doesn't know what surgery I'm talking about...Spencer was born with a hypospadius. We had to wait until now to get it corrected because of the anesthesia they have to use. If you're curious as to what a hypospadius is...I'll let you check out webmd for yourself. : )
But all is well so far. Robert and Spencer are sleeping on the couch so I thought I would take the time to fill everyone in! Thanks for all your prayers and support. We love you all and will keep posted on his recovery!

6 comments:

Julia said...

I am glad to hear he is doing well! :) Let us know if there is anything we can do for you guys!

Hillman Family said...

So glad everything went well. We were thinking about you this morning at exercise group. Let us know if you need anything!

Ben, Erin and Tyson Sweetwood said...

We are glad everything went well!

Kmelanese said...

I am glad everything went well. Hopefully he continues to heal.

Hillman Family said...

Hey! Thanks for asking-- I am fine. How are YOU?! I have been thinking about you all week. Can I do anything to help you out? I need to call or stop by but I am afraid of disturbing you and Spencer. Call me!

jon and lori said...

Hey Sullivan's, This is Lori Wheelwright (Porter). I have been blog snooping. It has been fun seeing your blog and seeing what you guys have been up to. I am glad to see you little boy is doing well. Just thought I would drop a note and say "HI"